Tuesday, June 9, 2015

I'm Not Insulted

The top news item lately has been Bruce Jenner’s transition to Caitlyn.  The drastic transformation of such a public figure has brought widespread attention, approval, outrage, and speculation for weeks.  Now that the process is complete, there has been a positive storm of response, and for the most part, I mean that literally.  My feed and my wall have been covered with people lauding Caitlyn’s choice and her courage, which may tell you a bit about who my friends are, if not about who I am. 

But it is still a storm, and there are flashes of negativity out there.  I recently read an article speaking to the opposite side, mostly because a friend of mine shared it and I wanted to see where she stood.  The article was written by Matt Walsh and is titled, “Calling Bruce Jenner a Woman is an Insult to Women”.  Not mincing words at all, is he?  As you might expect, the tone is vicious and cruelly one-sided, and I hesitate to defend such a vicious piece in any way, but there are one or two nuggets in all the vitriol.

I think that to transgenders, the choice is a very personal one, and society has made it a very public battle. That this process has been so visible may be part of what made Caitlyn struggle with the decision. We have assigned conditions to our love and acceptance of people—they have to fit into our ideas of who they should be before we will give them any respect or concern. That's what makes this fight so difficult for them. But the writer, in making that point, embodies the cruelty he is describing.  He has missed the fact that disagreement and love are not mutually exclusive. (Remember that friend I mentioned, the one who shared this article?  If she does agree with it, as implied, well, I disagree with her, but she is still a good friend of mine.)

As for "unveiling a new self", I agree that that's poorly worded. We have only one "self", but that self is only partly seen by other people. For Caitlyn and other transgenders, their true self is more obscured than for most others, and it is brave of them to choose true self-expression over easy acceptance from others. This form of bravery, while very different from that of someone who gives up his life for others, is just as valid and should not be dismissed.

Finally, the point on Photoshop and plastic surgery being used to make an "authentic" woman intrigues me. It is an interesting dichotomy, that transgenders can use these methods to make themselves a "real" woman, but women are discouraged from doing so. I think it comes down to self-acceptance, and the point that we OURSELVES should decide whether we can accept who and what we are, as we are, or if we need to make some changes. If I retain anything from this article, it's that I should not criticize a woman for deciding, for her own sake and not the sake of society, to make changes to her appearance.

What it comes down to, I believe, is that we need to stop looking at the world in terms of black and white, because it simply isn’t.  I’ve come to this conclusion again and again—gender is a spectrum, sexuality is a spectrum, autism is a spectrum, the rainbow is a spectrum.  We humans are many things all in one, and there is never one thing in all of us.  That’s part of the glory of being human.  When we learn to first accept, and then cherish, that diversity, we will be making real progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment