Thursday, December 1, 2011

Honored

Usually I don't use my blog for personal information.  Today, however, I'm going to take the opportunity to boast a bit.  I just received an invitation to join the English honors society Sigma Tau Delta, which I will certainly accept.  I was, of course, pleased to have the invitation, because who doesn't like being honored in this way?  But this kind of thing is more than just a pat on the back.  Members can submit papers to the society's publications, are eligible for scholarships (between $1,000 and $4,000 in value) and, perhaps most significantly, can apply for internships with major publishing companies.  This last is huge for me, because searching for a job next spring is going to be one of the most frightening things I do.  I imagine, as well, the fact that I am a member will be something that I can add to my resume to make myself look a bit more impressive. 

It's nice to have recognition for one's accomplishments.  In high school, all I got for my years of work was the "Most Likely to Succeed" superlative in my high school yearbook and a bad, gimicky photograph.   Now not only am I being recognized, but the honor comes with rewards that I can use in the future.  While I admit and accept that I am and always will be a hopeless nerd, no matter how far away from high school I can get, I still deeply appreciate this honor.  To all of us who have worked for this (and yes, a bit to myself) I lift my glass.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment