Sunday, February 5, 2012

Think Before Speaking--Wondering about Words


I love words.  I wouldn’t be an English major if I didn’t.  I love to form sentences, I love to learn new vocabulary, and I love to use words in new and interesting ways.  I love people who have good grammar, and I love jokes about people who have bad grammar.  But even to me, it’s slightly bewildering just how many words there are in the world.

Take a look around you.  Where do you see words?  In my dorm room, there are words on the postcards pinned to my door, words on my water bottle and my tube of lotion, words on the note that reminds me to floss my teeth, stupid.  There are thousands upon thousands of words on the bookshelf behind me.  Words on my printer, printed on my window, even in my clothes, sheets, and towels.

It wasn’t always this way.  Today an admission of illiteracy is a shocking announcement.  Even two hundred years ago, though, the majority of the world didn’t know how to read.  It was reserved for the elite, for those who could afford to send their children to school.  Looking further back, we come across entire cultures who didn’t feel the need for a written language.  Their histories and legends came down to the next generation by word of mouth, and it seemed to work well enough.

Now, I’m not saying that I wish it were still that way.  English major, remember?  I just think it’s strange how much things have changed.  Words have become something completely different from what they once were for us.  All they are, really, are symbols, lines and spaces that represent something else.  But try to look at a word now and see only that, the symbols that make it up.  You can’t, can you?  Your brain automatically makes something else out of it.  It’s nearly impossible for us, now, not to read something that we come across.  It happens that quickly and easily.

Sometimes I do look at words and realize just how funny-looking they are.  How does this make sense, I wonder?  What is the connection that my brain makes between the black etch marks that make out the word lesson and make me think of my conducting class, singing, dull repetitive homework assignments, and Lewis Carroll, all in one?  This is what language does for us.  It’s wonderful, but very strange.  

Then again, there are many things in life that are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment