Thursday, May 8, 2014

Throwback Thursday: May 9, 2012

Two years ago, minus one day, I spent a wonderful evening watching the very first performance of “Decision Height”, a play written and directed by my good friend Meredith.  The play was her undergraduate honors thesis project, and it was very much a nod to our university and the ties of sisterhood we learned there.  The play takes place in World War II-era Texas, where a school of aviation takes on a group of rather unique pilots: women.  Six women explore their reasons for flying, and their pasts, their successes, their failures, and their friendships make for a touching and inspiring story.

Of the many times I have seen this play produced—and it has enjoyed its own level of success, appearing twice since its debut in area theatres, as well as elsewhere across the States—the first performance remains my favorite.  I remember the tiny dark studio where it was performed, the familiar faces making up its cast and crew, the tossed-together sets and music which just so happened to include piano themes by yours truly.  I remember the rush of pride in my friend, the tears stinging my eyes at two different points in the story.  I had heard about the play for months, had been just down the hall for all the playwright’s stressful moments, had attended the very first experimental reading.  Back then I was still a part of the process, and I was honored to be a member of the sisterhood.

I think moments like this, moments of first success, are incredibly poignant.  They are filled with a strange kind of forward-facing nostalgia, an awareness of coming joy.  It is both an ending and a beginning, a branching of the path into new things and away from the old.  I felt that, watching my friend’s work come alive, and I felt it a few weeks later on the day we both walked across the stage and switched our tassels from one side to the other.  My wish for her, and for me, is many more such moments to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment