Monday, August 22, 2016

Be Vewwy Quiet

Job hunting is hard.

For those of you who don’t know (which is probably most of you), I just recently lost my job.  I was working for a corporate restaurant, and the corporation decided to close my restaurant.  We didn’t have very much warning, which is sad, but that’s life, I suppose.

It’s not a crisis.  I have a bit of money put away, enough to keep me fed and housed for a month or two at least.  I’d like not to have to dip too much into my savings, though, and so I am on the hunt.  Let me tell you something: as hunters go, I’m kind of at the bottom of the pile.

First of all, I haven’t done this very much.  I’ve only had a handful of jobs, and most of them I got through people I know.  My dad, a soccer coach, got me into refereeing for little kids’ soccer when I was sixteen or so.  A year later, I took my first summer job babysitting for a lady at my church.  Throughout college I had the same work-study position, and my summer camp jobs I got through a friend of mine.  When I graduated, I got the job I’ve had for the past four years by going around to different restaurants and asking for applications. 

In my opinion, the internet doesn’t make the search any easier.  You tend to get lost in the sea of candidates and opportunities.  And a job description only tells you so much about the job; usually it says nothing about the people who work there, the customers or clientele you might have to deal with, or whether your boss will be an asshole. 

(Side note: I’ve either been very lucky or very unlucky with bosses, not much in between.  I’ve had creepy no-idea-what-personal-space-is bosses, funny talk-in-bad-accents-and-give-everyone-a-nickname bosses, and then there was the one who used to come and have serious conversations with me while wearing a banana costume.)

Then there’s the whole etiquette issue.  What am I supposed to wear to a meet-and-greet that might be an interview and might not?  If my handshake is weak, does that mean I won’t get hired?  Everyone says a potential employer decides whether or not to hire you based on the first thirty seconds, which strikes me as very unfair, honestly.  What if I trip and fall on the way into the room?  Do I try to be polite and professional, or is it more important to seem friendly and genuine?  What is the balance?  It’s  a social nightmare of reading half a dozen cues a minute, trying to figure out how to say what the interviewer wants to hear without lying.  Good thing I have a BA in BS—all those papers in college taught me how to put the right spin on anything.

All in all, I feel that I make a good impression, but nothing is certain.  It’s hard to find the right fit with the right atmosphere, hours, salary, and benefits.  And while I maintain that money is not the most important thing, it is pretty important, and it starts to seem more so after a few weeks of paying bills out of a diminishing savings account.  The only advice I have to people who might be in the same boat is: hang in there.  Keep trying.  Don’t take the first thing that comes up if you know you’re going to hate it—the stress and anxiety of a job you dread going to isn’t worth the money.  But don’t hold out for something perfect, because let’s face it, your chances of finding perfection are never good.  Try new things, because you never know what you might enjoy.  And if you do spot a good opportunity, don’t wait!  Positions don’t stay open forever.

One more thing that I wish someone had told me when I was a kid: you don’t have to find all of your happiness in your job.  It’s important to be comfortable, but it's impossible for everyone who works to find soul food and spiritual fulfillment in their 9 to 5.  So do what you love, even if it’s only in your hours off the clock.  That’s what I’ve been doing for the past four years, and what I will probably doing for the next four.  And that’s okay with me.  When you really love something, you make time for it.  You make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment