Sunday, October 21, 2012

Time to Spare?


Every morning at 10:30 AM, I'm supposed to sit down at my computer to write something for my blog.  Whether or not that something ends up on my blog usually depends on the clarity of my thoughts at the time, but I always write something.  I have found that this is the best way for me to keep up with my work.

I haven’t done this for the past few days.  That’s because I wasn’t here at 10:30 AM.  On Friday I was on my way to work; on Saturday I was driving to Richmond for a baby shower, and this morning I was out the door to go to church.  But I have cracked down on myself again now—it is currently 10:39 PM.  Now at one time or the other, I will get my work done.

I’ve had it easy for the past few months.  The implementation of my work schedule was surprising to me, though it shouldn’t be.  I never realized just how much time a busy schedule can take up.  It’s only now that I realize I wasn’t just hanging out here in this apartment while I was still unemployed.  I was writing, working on music, organizing my home, etc.  Of course there was plenty of the unmotivated loitering going on too, but now I don’t have nearly as much time for any of that. 

So this is easy, Eileen, you might say.  Just cut out the unmotivated loitering.  Unfortunately, that isn’t possible.  I know myself pretty well, or at least I know what happens when I am required to have constant output of mental energy.  It isn’t pretty.  I need some time to just relax and not have to think for a while.  

This means, then, that I will have to use my time wisely again.  No big deal--I did it for four years at Hollins, and I will be able to do it again.  But I know there will be times that I miss those aimless days of mental wandering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment