Thursday, October 25, 2012

Wishes to Spare


My college roommate taught me about 11:11 in freshman year.  She explained that since the numbers look like birthday candles, you get a wish if you catch them on the clock.  This wish is apparently stronger on the eleventh of November.  Some people also believe that you get a wish at 1:11, but I would imagine that would be less likely to come true. 

I’ve never put much stock in this kind of thing, but I played along, making little wishes to amuse myself.  For several months now, though, I’ve had a wish in mind immediately every single time: “let me get a good apartment” or “let me get a job.”  My wishes were not playful, but desperate.  I needed all the help I could get.

This morning, I was in the kitchen when I happened to look up and see 11:11 on the microwave display.  I went to make a wish, and realized that I had to think a minute to come up with something I need.  I have my apartment and my job—my big wishes have come true.  Now, when I see 11:11 or 1:11, I’ll smile and wish for little things again, or even give my wish for the sake of someone else.  I’m back to a place in my life where I am in control, and this is enormously uplifting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment